Marker #161 Ladd-Gilman House

8 02 2010

#161 Ladd-Gilman

Marker Text:

Built about 1721 as one of New Hampshire’s earliest brick houses, and enlarged and clapboarded in the 1750s, this dwelling served as the state treasury during the Revolution. Here were born John Taylor Gilman (1753-1828), who was elected governor for an unequalled total of fourteen years, and his brother Nicholas Gilman, Jr. (1755-1814), a signer of the U.S. Constitution. The house has been maintained since 1902 by the Society of the Cincinnati.

Located at the Ladd-Gilman house on Water St. in downtown Exeter, the Marker was erected in 1991. (Leftmost Placemark below)

#161

The Ladd-Gilman House gives us a chance to return to Exeter one more time before the Revolutionary War. This is a chance to catch up with Exeter’s history since the last marker from more than 80 years ago.  After Rev. Wheelwright was booted out of town in 1642 and Exeter came under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts, the town began to be settled in earnest. 

Exeter was a desirable place to settle for many reasons. As the Exeter river goes over the falls it becomes the Swampscott river and is part of Great Bay.  Back then, before the construction of dams, salmon were plentiful as they headed from the ocean up the Exeter river to spawn.   The Swampscott river, being a tidal river, provided access to Dover, Strawberry Banke and the ocean.  Alewives were plentiful above the falls providing an opportunity to build fisheries and use the harvested fish to fertilize the soil as land was cleared  and farms built.  The first mill was erected on the east side of the river on the Exeter river falls (map above, center right).  The homes of the settlers were generally on the west side of the river.

As with any new town representatives were selected, taxes set out for the common cause, plots of land claimed and bickered about, grumbles about Massachusetts Government and people generally being people.  Into this new town being structured came a wealthy man named Edward Gilman:

the settlement in Exeter of Edward Gilman in 1647, and his relatives shortly afterwards, men of property and energy, who set up saw-mills and gave an impulse to the business of the place. Bell, History of Exeter

The Gilman family prospered in Exeter as more of the family moved into the town.  Over the next 50 years Exeter would grow steadily,  the primary exports being ship masts, barrel staves and other products produced at the mills.  The first garrison house would be built by a Gilman and still stands today at 12 Water Street (map above, lower right).

Nathaniel Ladd was born in Haverhill MA in the 1650s, married Elizabeth Gilman and eventually settled in Exeter.  He managed to get into a bit of trouble in 1683 when he took part in Gove’s rebellion. Many were angry at provincial Governor who had dissolved the assemblies elected by the people to appoint his own guys. Ladd and 11 others (probably fortified with spirits) rode from Exeter to Hampton with guns and sword at the ready.  They were all arrested except Ladd who managed to escape and went into hiding for a while. Nathaniel Ladd would meet an early death participating in a raid on the Indian settlement at Casco Bay in 1691.  His eldest son, Nathaniel II would build what is today the Ladd-Gilman House.

ladd-gilman HDR Ladd-Gilman House, 11/09

IMG_0226 The original house is all brick, but was clapboarded over later when additions were added in the 1750s.  Through marriage between the Ladd and Gilman families in the 1700s the house was eventually owned by the Gilmans.  Today the house is part of the American Independence Museum in Exeter, and displays historic documents including original drafts of the Declaration of Independence.  Also on the museum property is the Folsom Tavern (pictured above), built in 1775 on the corner of today’s Front and Water streets.  It was moved to this location in 2004. And before you ask, yes, George Washington visited here in 1783.

There will be a little more on this important building in posts about the revolution.

Advertisements




Marker #666 Incident at Exeter

30 10 2009

No picture of this marker is left.  All we have is the Original Text:

“Around this area, in 1965, Alien Spaceships swarmed over Exeter and the surrounding countryside, terrorizing local residents.”

The marker was located approximately 5 miles south of Exeter, on Route 108.  All that remains, is a pile of dirt.  It was erected in 1978.

Map picture

Ground zero for the Apocalyptic Alien invasion of 1965, Exeter barely escaped Vaporization. The Historian John G. Fuller dedicated his life to documenting the event.

The invasion was first spotted by a perfectly sober Hitchhiker in the middle of the night along Rt 108.  After a few pops, the local police began seeing them too!  After that, hundreds of local residents claimed to have been pillaged, beat up and made fun of by the Aliens.

Even today, the mystery remains unsolved, as local Newspapers still have 84 year old reporters in search of the truth.

And what of the Marker that was erected in 1978 and is missing? Each year the State erects an new one on the same spot, and the next morning, it’s always gone.





Marker #32 Revolutionary Capitol

30 10 2009

 IMG_0228

Marker Text:

“Founded by Rev. John Wheelwright in 1638, Exeter was one of the four original towns in the colony. Following New Hampshire’s provisional declaration of independence on January 5, 1776, it served as the capital of the new state during the period of the American Revolution.”

Erected in 1965, This marker is located in the Center of Exeter, across the street from the Town Hall.

#32 

IMG_0229

IMG_0230

 

Before getting to the Founding of Exeter, I’d like to fill in a bit what happened between the last marker (1629) and this (1638).  After the Mason Patent defined the boundaries of New Hampshire – effectively dividing the Laconia grant between Mason (NH) and Gorges (Maine) – Captain Mason sent out people to explore the rivers, lakes and lands.

The expedition was Lead by Captain Walter Neal who was sent over by Mason to manage his assets and Became the head of the southern portion of the plantation.  They set out on foot in 1632 to “discover the interior and establish trade with the Indians.” (Colony, Province, State by John McClintock p36.)

Accompanying Neal was Darby Field – who has his own marker to come – among others.  They explored the lakes region, and made it to the White Mountains (which they named the Crystal Hills) before returning later the same year.

The next year, 1633, Neal along with Captain Thomas Wiggin laid out the towns of Portsmouth (Strawberry Banke), Dover, Exeter, and Hampton.

In the same timeframe as the first New Hampshire settlements, the Massachusetts Bay Colony was establishing itself to the south. Reverend Wheelwright was part of that Colony, and was an outspoken critic of the Puritan views of the leaders.  The Puritans had come to the New World for religious freedom, but were awfully intolerant of non-Puritan views.

He made an enemy of Governor Winthrop, and backed his opponent in 1637 (who lost) and got booted out of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  So he came to New Hampshire as many disillusioned MA residents still do today.

Oh, I forgot an important point.  Captain John Mason, died in 1635, having never seen New Hampshire, the state he got rolling.  He died in England.  Immediately, folks began squabbling over the Patent, who owned what, etc.  

Reverend Wheelwright secured the Patent for Exeter from Neal and Wiggin, established his church, and built a meeting house. He drew up a document for a civil form of government which was signed by himself, and 34 others in 1640.

By 1641, deals were being made and land being seeded to the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  In 1642 it was Exeter’s turn, and as Wheelwright was banished from the Colony, he was sent on a little vacation to Wells, ME.  He returned a year later after making amends, to preach in Hampton.

From 1641 to 1679, New Hampshire and Massachusetts would become one.